Friday, February 20, 2015

After my presence on CBC radio show, insurer cuts my benefits

January 8, 2015

Since I was on CBC's Ontario Today show on January 21st - 'So You Think You're Covered! (can listen to podcast by going to previous episodes), the car insurer paying my income replacement benefits has cut them without warning, Ten days after the show they prepared an Explanation of Benefits form and wrote: "Since you now have earnings which we can deduct from your weekly benefit entitlement, we cannot consider any further payments until we receive copies of earnings statements. You must submit a copy of each earning statement. Please note that we require documentation of any/all post accident income you have received. Please provide copies of your tax returns for the last 5 years."

You would think that they might first ask for these documents and then cut you off if you refuse, don't send them within a certain time period or have made a lot of money which you've been hiding. But I am found guilty from the get-go and lose my benefits immediately. I am cut off while getting to them what they request and are happy with the response. Going on public radio has displeased them tremendously so they are punishing me financially. For those of you who think people with serious injuries are scamming their insurers, think again. Winning my court case and the appeal doesn't mean they will ever leave me alone. People have no idea what they will have to face when they require their insurer to honour their policy for accident or disability benefits.
 
I have no idea what earnings they surmise me to have other than they think I am making money on the book, which was showcased on Ontario Today. It is interesting that they don't say what they think those earnings are based on, only that I have them. However, I am well in debt writing this book as I've been giving out copies all over the place to make people aware of what insurers do to legitimate claimants. The few book sales after the show are a pittance in relation to my disbursements.  I'm the first one to speak up by writing a book and they want to shut me up right quickly. And people think they're the good guys and claimants are the fraudsters. I won't be shut up. I am presently working (have been for weeks) on a major research piece backed by strong references (court cases, govt. docs, College of Physician and Surgeons and much more) which will show how shoddy these guys really are. This piece lays it on the line and exposes the industry with proof of altered assessment reports from catastrophic to non catastrophic, and much more. I can back up everything I say.
 
Insurers have the right to request your tax returns and send you to more medical evaluations even after you have won your case. But cutting off my benefits without warning, based on their notion that I now have earnings is incredible and is, as a matter of fact, intimidation and harassment. And this after an IBC rep (Insurance Bureau of Canada which is the industry umbrella for insurance companies) is on the show and probably ticked off to no end that someone had the audacity to write a book about what insurers do to claimants to deny their benefits as well as show readers how to fight back and get through the process successfully. A  good friend of mine who was in a serious car accident in May was sent  for an insurance assessment this past Jan. 7th. The assessor denied her claim verbally (didn't even have to wait for the forthcoming written report to get the news) saying, "It doesn't matter what I write on the assessment, the insurance company will deny it. If you appeal, they will send you to someone else and then deny that, because that is what insurance companies do."

Source: http://deniedbenefitclaims.com/blog.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

Canadian Insurance News does not endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that we have the right to reproduce, broadcast and publicize those comments or any part thereof in any manner whatsoever.